Sunday, February 1, 2015

Inkheart

Inkheart holds a special place in my own heart.
Some of my earliest reading memories come from Inkheart. I have no idea how old I was when I first opened it's cover. All I do know is that when I picked it up once more a few weeks ago, I had nothing but a few wispy scraps of memory to go on.
I knew the basic premise of the series, which was that some guy named Mo could read things out of books, and that one day he'd gone and accidentally read out some villains. I knew that there was someone named Dustfinger who did stuff with fire, and I remembered a fairly important plot point about him and some kid that tagged along with him. I knew that there was a writer who got used to writing on parchment paper, which I believe was because he'd been transported to Inkheart land (although I'm pretty sure that we only get to see Inkheart land in the second or third book. I honestly can't remember). I remembered Dustfinger sneaking into someone's room, and I'm pretty sure that there's a castle later on in the series.
When I started reading this book for a second time, I didn't really have much to go on. The only other thing I remember about the book that I haven't listed already is that it was really good!
It was nice to be able to read a book, not knowing anything about it, but knowing that you liked it. It's like I forgot the ending to The Lord of the Rings movies, and then had the pleasure of rediscovering it. I almost found reading the book more relaxing that way.
For those of you who haven't read the book, let me give you a brief rundown. 
As I mentioned before, the premise behind the book is that a man named Mo has the ability to read characters out of their novels. Mo doesn't really understand this ability himself, or it's dangers- chief among them being that for every item he reads out of a story, something has to go into the story from his world. I'll leave out the fact that halfway through the book this inexplicably stops happening.
Anyways, Mo discovers this fact one night when he is reading out loud to his wife. Suddenly she is gone, along with his two cats, to be replaced by two evil villains from Inkheart as well as the character of Dustfinger. Capricorn and Basta, the villains, are driven away by Mo, leaving Dustfinger behind. Dustfinger, however, is immediately homesick and wishes he could be sent back into the world of Inkheart, something Mo does not know how to do. Eventually, Dustfinger simply leaves, and Mo is left in peace to raise his daughter Meggie. And so his life returns to a somewhat normal state. Then one night, Dustfinger shows up once more, still asking to be read back into his story. With the coming of Dustfinger danger arrives as well, and soon the villains from the story are attempting to hunt Mo and Meggie down. 
If Capricorn is able to find Mo, he'll attempt to use him, use him to bring from Inkheart an immortal monster known only as the Shadow. With the shadow by his side, Capricorn can take control of this world…
Inkheart has several things going for it. The author's love for literature shines through, with the characters often longing for a book to keep them company, as well as quotes from various works easing us into every chapter. The storyline is intriguing, the characters believable. This book isn't the kind of book that will keep you up reading all night, but it is a book that you want more of. One incredible thing about it? I cannot find a single thing blatantly wrong in this entire book. I am, however, upset, although not about anything in this book. I'm actually upset that there are more books in the series. 'But I thought you said that you loved the book!' I hear you say. True, true. Let me explain.
Predictably, by the end of this book everything is looking pretty good. The happiness levels of the main characters are generally on the happy side of the scale. Aside from a few loose ends necessary to justify a sequel, everything is wrapped up with a neat little bow, and the ending is satisfying. Unfortunately, the author couldn't leave it at that.
There are three books in this series, and from what little I remember of them and from what I've heard from my sisters, they are quite dark compared to the first book in the series. And I'm upset by that.
The author did a nice job in making the reader emotionally invested in the characters, and with the exclusion of a select few their future looks bright by the end. But then the author has to give us more! A new problem, more strife for the characters!
Usually, I love series. However, everything was wrapped up so nicely that it seems to me that the series should be over, finished. And I'm worried what might happen if we go through it all again.
Still, I enjoyed the book. I'll give it a solid 7.5, and cross my fingers that the next two books in the series don't make too much of a mess of it.

Thanks for reading,

-Mark

1 comment:

  1. Dustfinger holds a special place in my heart. <3
    What a great character.

    ReplyDelete